Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Couric Complex

     Apparently we're not done with Couric in the newsroom yet.  First it's Senator Clinton, then it's Senator Palin, and now it's Katie Couric...again?  The controversial issues that aroused as Katie Couric stepped into the limelight on CBS for the first time have come back around to haunt us now that women are the subject of politics.  It seemed to me that the issue of a woman as a top CBS anchor had relatively died down up until now.  However, "An Achor Lets Down Her Hair" was posted front page for the NYTimes last monday and rekindles the story all over again.  
     "The road to gender equality really starts when the novelty wears off.  And I think my presence anchoring a nightly newscast is much less jarring than it might have been initially," said Couric herself in the article.  I find it somewhat ironic that that quote is printed in an article that contributes to pointing out and, to a certain extent, drawing the line between men and women as an anchor.  I thought we were getting to the point where novelty is "wearing off."  I guess the fact that this article was published shows how wrong I am.  
     I do agree with the article when it states that Couric "...is a superb journalist."  I think that the diversity of a woman interviewing the new republican vice presidential candidate is refreshing.  She can offer new insight because she is a woman and because she's good at what she does.  But please, let's not go overboard with the whole issue of sexism in the newsroom again.  We'll be lucky when these types of articles focus in on only the quality of her work, rather than her gender.  That is, after all, the self contradicting point that this article is trying to get across, isn't it?

1 comment:

3P said...

The media loves talking about gender, race, religion, when most of the country doesn't really care. I don't get it when the media asks "Is America ready for a black President?" I'm ready for a black President if that president reflects my views. Otherwise, no. I'm ready for a reptilian president if he reflects my beliefs.